Stress tests in Slovakia
Activities concerning stress tests
Questions to the nuclear regulator
Patricia Lorenz sent the following questions concerning Stress Tests to the Slovak Nuclear regulatory authority in June 2011:
- Which new scenarios which were excluded until now but after Fukushima proved to be realistic, do you ask the operator to assess? Please give us data on the new demands concerning natural disasters (flooding, extreme cold, extreme heat, snow, ice, storms, tornados, heavy rain and other extreme natural conditions.
- Aircraft crash: Will you demand a deterministic assessment of an aircraft crash? Which criteria will the plant have to prove to withstand?
- Will the seismic design basis be re-evaluated, which we consider crucial?
- How long is the plant able to control shut-down and cooling of the reactor and the spent fuel storage pool without external support if ultimate heat sink and power supply are not available due to external impact?
- Which are the responsible authorities in our country to take care of the part “terrorist attacks”?
- How will the public be informed about the conduct and the outcome of the tests?
- Will there be a seminar/workshop for NGO and independent experts while the stress tests are being conducted, e.g. in late August or September to discuss the results?
The Nuclear regulatory authority answered by listing the tasks of ENSREG defined as necessary input for the stress tests and saying that all these topics would be dealt with in their Stress Tests.
Meeting in Bratislava
On January 25th 2012, a meeting with UJD on stress tests took place in Bratislava:
There, it was agreed with UJD that the questions which were not answered or not suffieciently, would be published together with all other questions on their homepage; however, only a short note was published. Main unanswered questions by the audience concerned doubts about emergency measures in cases of severe accidents and evacuation.
Reports of the nuclear regulator
The Slovak national reports (progress and final report) on the EU Stress Test is available under:
http://www.ensreg.eu/documents - reports
Information on the progress of the stress tests in Slovakia can be found here (pdf, 16 KB).
Information on the final reports of the stress tests in Slovakia can be found here (pdf, 36 KB).